Thursday, August 4, 2011

More Lessons from Romans 12 & Luke 6

Our society teaches us that we should look out for number one, take care of ourselves first, not let anyone take advantage of us or get the best of us, etc; but God’s Word teaches us something very different.

 

Our pastor has been teaching a series on families for the past several weeks.  Last Sunday, he showed a clip from a news show.  The clip was footage recorded live from a baseball game.  A foul ball was headed to the stands and several fans were trying to catch it.  The person who ended up with the ball was a twelve-year-old boy named Ian.  As he walked back to his seat, he noticed that another boy about his age was upset because he didn’t get the ball.  Ian turned around, walked back down the stairs, and gave his souvenir foul ball to the other boy.  The announcers for the baseball game were shocked and kept commenting on what a “well-bred” boy he was and how unusual something like that was.  When he was interviewed, Ian said that’s just how his parents raised him.  He shrugged his shoulders and said something like, “It’s just natural.”

 

I’d love for Landon to grow up to be the kind of selfless, thoughtful child who would put another’s happiness before his own.  I left church that day asking myself, “How do we train Landon to be that way?  What do we do, what habits do we model and instill in him that will make this type of behavior natural?”  Of course, I know the “correct” answer…model selflessness, take advantage of teachable moments, blah, blah, blah…

 

That night, as I settled in for my quiet time, I opened my Bible and began reading the chapters that I had been studying for the past few days, Romans 12 & Luke 6.  I was amazed to see that these verses I’d been studying dealt with this very issue.  (Before, I’d been focusing on other verses that dealt with not judging - as seen in my previous post - and offering our bodies as living sacrifices.)

 

Romans 12:3, 17-21

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.  Do not repay evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.  In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Luke 6:27-31

But I tell you who hear me: Love you enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also.  If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.  Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.  Do to others as you would have them do to you.

 

As I was reading these verses, God spoke to my heart about how we can truly teach ourselves and our children to have that kind of attitude and that kind of heart.  We have to do as it says in Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind…”  Somewhere along the way, I’d bought into the world’s idea that I should look out for myself and not let anyone take advantage of me.  I had conformed.  Now, God’s word is transforming me, renewing my mind.  If I am to teach my child what it means to be selfless.  I have to actually be selfless.  (I know, duh, right?)  But really, I can’t just tell him to do it and pretend that I am selfless.  I actually have to lay down my desires, put myself last.  I don’t have a problem doing this for my family and my friends, but Luke 6:32 says, “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them.”  This comes right after the verses about loving your enemies.  I am supposed to be selfless and put my enemies needs and wants before my own – the rude lady at the grocery store, the person who cut me off on the drive home, the child who took my child’s toy away from him, the person who criticized me, etc.  Anytime my human nature bows up and says, “I don’t have to take that,” God’s word says, “You don’t have to, but you need to.” 

 

Wow!  What a witness we could be for Christ if all of His followers committed to do that!  It’s easy to say in theory, “I love my enemies.”  I don’t really think I have any enemies, and I work hard to have love in my heart for even the people who have hurt me.  However, it’s something totally different to willingly let someone take advantage of you, to turn the other cheek, to give someone you tunic when they’ve already taken your cloak.  I think I’m gonna need some God strength for that one!

 

Lord, help me to love my enemies, to put others’ needs and wants before my own, and to teach my son what it means to truly be selfless!  I can’t do it alone, but I know I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment