Monday, April 9, 2012

The High Calling

Lately, I have been overwhelmed and humbled by the high calling that is parenting! First, we are given the honor, privilege, and responsibility to care for these little creatures - to meet all their physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs. Then, as if that isn't scary enough, we are given the challenge of bringing them up "in the training and instruction of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4) As Christians, it is our responsibility to represent God to our children. They will first learn about His love, grace, mercy, discipline - His character - from us. Wow! Who's feeling unworthy now? Ummm, ME!!!

Tonight, as I was reading God's word and praying and reflecting over my day, I became increasingly aware that I am unworthy and unqualified for this task. As an early childhood major and an experienced teacher, one of my strongest areas of "expertise" is classroom management/discipline. My classroom was like a well-oiled machine, with every student knowing what they were supposed to be doing and how to do it; and they did it well. Tonight, as I was reflecting over our dinner experience in which Landon was spanked twice and sent to time out twice (the second time for the remainder of the meal), I realized that I can discipline him on my own. I can teach him how to behave in my own power. I can raise him to be a good, well-behaved, respectful, well-mannered child - all with just my training and experience. HOWEVER, I CANNOT bring him up in the training and instruction of the Lord on my own. I do not have the power, the grace, the patience, the mercy, the love…to discipline him, correct him, and teach him all while pointing him towards our loving Heavenly Father.

In order for Landon to see God in me, I need God's help. I need His help with the everyday, mundane discipline issues we face. I need His patience when I'm faced with a toddler whose will seems stronger than iron. I need His grace when that same toddler has tried my patience all day and now just wants to play a few minutes longer in the bathtub. I need His mercy when, in spite of his best efforts, that little guy fall short of my expectations once again. I NEED GOD!

So, my prayer tonight was that God would empty me of me and fill me with Him. As I was praying, I felt God reminding me that in order for Him to fill me, I had to allow Him to do so. I need to give Him the opportunity to fill me by spending time with Him each day, not just a few minutes reading a quick devotional and saying a quick prayer, but an extended period of time. Time alone with just Him, my Bible, and my journal - where He can point out areas I need to change and teach me things I need to know and show me the love and grace and mercy that I need. Only then, can I extend these to Landon.

Parenting is, indeed, a very high calling. What a privilege and an awesome responsibility!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment